Thursday, October 2, 2008

Chopsticks


My dad gave me this devotion to read about missions. My family has been involved with missions for years. My father has been on over 20 mission trips doing dental work in South and Central America. Right after I graduated from high school, I went on my first foreign mission trip and have been on 8 since then. Nothing has changed my life more (besides Jesus) and my perspective than those experiences. I would encourage anyone to go. However, when you read below...you will see a neat analogy of those that do the going and those that stay behind. 

Chopsticks and Mission
Read Philippians 4:10-20

Jesus said to the apostles, “You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, 
in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8

Like most Chinese, I eat with chopsticks without noticing how I use them. However, chopsticks became an important reminder of Christian service for me after a lunchtime talk a couple of years ago. Brother Fong, one of our missionaries to East Asia who was back in Singapore on furlough, gave the talk. As we prepared to tuck our boxes of fried rice with our chopsticks, Brother Fong challenged us to eat with only one chopstick instead of a pair. Observing our frustrated attempts, Brother Fong laughed and told us to use our chopsticks the usual way. As we ate he asked us to notice how we use our traditional pair of chopsticks: Once stick remains stationary while the others stick moves. He said, “Some of us are called to go out into the mission field. We are like the movable stick. Others remain here at home in Singapore to fast and pray for those who travel, to contribute by raising funds and awareness, to extend hospitality to visiting missionaries. These are like the stationary stick.” All of us have a part to play according to our God-given gifts. 


Thought of the day: Whether we stay in one place or travel 
the world, each of us plays a role in proclaiming God’s love. 
                                   -James Kwok (Republic of Singapore)
 
PS I cannot use chopsticks!! 

No comments: