Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Will work for food...


Last night I got in a discussion with some friends. Someone asked the question,  "would you help someone and risk being taken advantaged of?" As everyone began to share, everyones thoughts and comments geared toward the homeless. Many said they would never give a homeless person any money. Some spoke of how they should go get a job and that they don't deserve to be given money/handouts. Another said, they don't like to be taken advantaged of so they seldom have the heart to stop. This startled me. As I began to think about where this question was going...I started thinking of my own life. How often do I take advantage of God? I want Him to provide for me and help me in my time of need, but how much am I giving Him back in return. I believe we as Christians take advantage of God often and we are never deserving of what He does give us. But thats the point...God loves us even when we don't deserve His love and His grace. For me, the same goes for the homeless. They may not deserve what we give them, but how are we to judge their motives? Not all homeless fit the stereotype people give them. Some don't choose to be homeless. I'm not saying you should pass out money but you can always buy them food or ask them if they need anything. Throughout Jesus life, He helped those in need...regardless of what others thought or the fact that some wouldn't be thankful. I believe what matters is the way our heart responds to people in need. Loving others, knowing we will never receive anything in return, is true love. We are not called to pass judgement on how people got where they are. We are called to serve and to love. 
I really hope that I didn't offend anyone last night when I voiced my opinion. When people start talking about the homeless, something starts stirring in me. Till next time...

Galatians 6:9-10  "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people..." 

No comments: